Toyota Highlander 1998-2010 Key Programming Procedure
The following are the key programming procedures for the year 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Toyota Highlander.
Toyota Highlander 1998-2001
TO DELETE ALL BUT ONE KEY FROM THE UNIT:
1. Depress and release brake and accelerator pedals once, doing both at the same time.
2. Put an existing master key into the ignition. Leave the key in the LOCK position; do not turn it.
3. Press and release the accelerator pedal, six times, within 15 seconds of inserting the key.
4. Within 20 seconds of Step 3, press and release the brake pedal seven times.
5. The dashboard security light will flash. This confirms that all keys (except the one currently being used) have been deleted.
6. Within ten seconds, remove the key from the ignition cylinder. This is now the only key still programmed to work.
1. Press and release the brake and accelerator pedals once, doing both at the same time.
2. Put the existing master key into the ignition.
3. Press and release the accelerator pedal five times within 15 seconds.
4. Press and release the brake pedal six times within 20 seconds and remove key.
5. Insert new key into ignition within ten seconds.
6. Press and release the accelerator pedal once within ten seconds.
7. The security light will turn off after 80 seconds. This indicates that the new key is now registered.
8. Remove new key. Press and release the brake pedal once.
Toyota Highlander 2002-2010
Keys can be programmed using the Code-Seeker on most 32 bit systems.
TO DELETE ALL BUT ONE KEY FROM THE UNIT:
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert an existing master key into the ignition cylinder. Do not turn the key from the OFF(LOCK) position.
3. Within fifteen seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accelerator pedal six times.
4. Within twenty seconds of completing the above step, depress and release the brake seven times.
5. The security light will flash, indicating all keys other than the one being used have been deleted.
6. Remove the key from the ignition cylinder within ten seconds. It will be the only key still programmed to work.
ADD DUPLICATE KEY:
Requires one working Toyota/Lexus Master key.
1. Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
2. Insert Master key into the ignition cylinder.
3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from ON to OFF five times.
4. Open and close the driver side door six times.
5. Remove the Master key and insert the new duplicate key.
6. TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON.
7. The new key will be registered after 60 seconds. The THEFT light on the dashboard will go out, indicating that the programming has been completed.
About Toyota Highlander
Initially, the Kluger was a regular, non-hybrid SUV powered by an internal combustion engine, but Toyota later introduced a hybrid version, the Kluger Hybrid, that uses the company’s Hybrid Synergy Drive technology in conjunction with the company’s 3MZ-FE 3.3-liter V6 engine available in FWD or AWD trim. The hybrid drivetrain was introduced at the 2004 North American International Auto Show and went on sale in July 2005 as a 2006 model. The power steering pump, water pump, and air conditioner compressor were converted from belt-drive to electrically powered models. In order to power the hybrid system, a modified alternator was installed.
The Highlander Hybrid was the name given to the hybrid variant in North America. It was also the first hybrid car with seven seats. Overall acceleration improved, particularly at passing speeds, with the electric motors providing power. Toyota’s Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system and Electronically Controlled Braking are also new features (ECB). It received a SULEV emission rating from the California Air Resources Board. The EPA (updated standards) assessed it at 8.4 L/100 km; 34 mpgimp (28 mpgUS) City/9.4 L/100 km; 30 mpgimp (25 mpgUS) Highway for FWD models and 8.7 L/100 km; 32 mpgimp (27 mpgUS)/9.4 L/100 km; 30 mpgimp (25 mpgUS) Highway for AWD models. This system is nearly identical to the Lexus RX 400h’s. Towing capacity for all-wheel drive vehicles was stated at 1,600 kg (3,500 lb).