Honda Insight 2010-2014 Key Programming Procedure
The following are the key programming procedures for Honda Insight for the year 2010 and 2014.
TRANSPONDER PROGRAMS SEPARATELY FROM RKE W/ A DIAGNOSTIC TOOL
1. Within 4 seconds: Press LOCK button or UNLOCK button of first remote transmitter.
2. Within 4 seconds: Switch ignition OFF.
3. Within 4 seconds: Switch ignition ON.
4. Repeat procedure above twice.
5. Within 4 seconds: Press LOCK button or UNLOCK button of first remote transmitter. System should now lock and unlock vehicle to indicate remote programming mode activated.
6. Within 10 seconds:
Press LOCK button or UNLOCK button of first remote transmitter, allowing doors to lock and unlock once. Press LOCK button or UNLOCK button of each remaining remote transmitter to be programmed, allowing doors to lock and unlock once as each remote transmitter is programmed.
7. Switch ignition OFF.
8. Remove key
TRANSPONDER PROGRAMS SEPARATELY FROM RKE W/ A DIAGNOSTIC TOOL ORIGINAL KEY MUST HAVE AN “L” ON THE BLADE
1. ENTER the vehicle and CLOSE all doors. (Each of the following steps must be completed within five seconds of one another. If you take longer than five seconds between steps or make a mistake, you must start the entire procedure over.)
2. INSERT the key into the Ignition, HOLD one remote in your left hand with additional remotes close by.
3. PERFORM each of the next three (3) steps in order, then repeat all three (3) steps two (2) more times for a total of three (3) times each.
4. TURN the Ignition to the ON position, marked “II” on the Ignition.
5. PRESS the LOCK button on the remote.
6. TURN the Ignition to the LOCK position, marked “0” on the Ignition. (REPEAT Steps 4-6 two (2) more times)
7. TURN the Ignition to the ON position, marked “II” on the Ignition.
8. PRESS the LOCK button on the remote, the door locks should cycle indicating the vehicle has ENTERED Programming Mode.
9. Within five (5) seconds of entering Programming Mode, PRESS the LOCK button again on the same remote. The door locks should cycle again indicating the vehicle has successfully PROGRAMMED that remote.
10. For programming additional remotes to your vehicle, REPEAT Step 9 with each additional remote one after another. Step 9 must be completed within five (5) seconds for each additional remote. You may program up to three (3) remotes to your vehicle.
11. TURN the ignition to the LOCK position, marked “0” on the Ignition to EXIT Programming Mode.
12. Test all remotes. Programming is now complete.
About Honda Insight
The 2014 Honda Insight is the most affordable hybrid car on the market, and it remains a marginal entry for Honda, which is discontinuing this model after this model year. It’s been on the market for five years; it’s never sold as many as Honda had hoped; and it’s now essentially outgunned in its own category—subcompact hybrid hatchbacks—by the more fuel-efficient Toyota Prius C. And, as a vehicle for transporting people and their belongings, its stablemate, the Honda Fit, sits right next to it in dealerships and easily outsells it, with a starting price that is more than $3,000 lower.
The 2014 Insight remains unchanged. For 2012, it received a new battery pack, minor styling updates, and revisions to the interior materials and instrument displays.
The Honda Insight has the same high-tail hatchback shape as the Toyota Prius because it is the most aerodynamically efficient. The windshield is steeply raked, and the tailgate has a small second vertical window in addition to the long, almost-horizontal main glass, which improves visibility. Front seat space is adequate, though taller drivers may find the lower cushion of the front seat to be too short. However, despite a reshaped headliner that added half an inch in 2012, the sloping roofline makes rear-seat headroom extremely limited. It’s designed for two adults, but three smaller children can fit in an emergency.