Rover 800 Series 1995-1999 KeyFob Remote Keyless Entry Programming Procedure
How to Program Rover 800 Series KeyFob Remote Keyless Entry for the year 1995 and 1999.
KeyFob Programming Procedure (Remote)
Note. If battery is replaced inside key fob or if key fob buttons are operated repeatedly whilst vehicle is out of range and central locking / alarm system becomes inoperative, carry out the following reinitializing procedure.
- Manually “Unlock” the vehicle using the key
- Ensure all of the doors, Bonnet and Boot are all closed and both front doors are unlocked.
- Hold the remote key fob close to the vehicle
- Press the “Padlock” or “Dimpled” button on the key fob button 4 times or more in quick succession, until the vehicle locks are enabled.
- Key fob is re-initialized.
- Repeat above procedure for all remaining key fobs
- Confirm operation of key fobs by locking and unlocking vehicle using key fob buttons.
About Rover 800
Post 1996 Vitesses were all “Sport” specification so the sport badge was dropped, also from 1996 the 2.0L T16 engines used wasted spark ignition instead of distributor. Non-sport Vitesse models have approx 180 bhp (130 kW), whilst the sport has 197 bhp (147 kW).
Although the 800 had fallen behind the opposition considerably (few mechanical changes were made, apart from the introduction of the Rover KV6 Engine which replaced the Honda 2.7 V6 in 1996), it was a steady seller until the spring of 1999, when it was replaced by the Rover 75.
The Rover KV6 and M-series engines in the 800 series was hampered by reliability problems and head gasket failures. Rover at the time, with no understanding of the problems, simply replaced the engines. In many cases repair would not have been an option due to liner problems. The KV6 engine was in most cases mated to a JATCO gearbox which also in some cases suffered from reliability issues. This was sometimes due to incorrect gearbox fluid changes.
The Rover 820 Vitesse in most guises suffered from problems with gearbox bearings because of the large amount of power from the 2-litre turbo engine. The bearings can be replaced with more durable steel caged bearings. (Source Wiki)