Toyota RAV-4 1998-2010 Key Programming Procedure
The following are the key programming procedures for the year 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Toyota RAV-4.
Toyota RAV-4 1998-2001
TO DELETE ALL BUT ONE KEY FROM THE UNIT:
1. Depress and release brake and accelerator pedals once, doing both at the same time.
2. Put an existing master key into the ignition. Leave the key in the LOCK position; do not turn it.
3. Press and release the accelerator pedal, six times, within 15 seconds of inserting the key.
4. Within 20 seconds of Step 3, press and release the brake pedal seven times.
5. The dashboard security light will flash. This confirms that all keys (except the one currently being used) have been deleted.
6. Within ten seconds, remove the key from the ignition cylinder. This is now the only key still programmed to work.
1. Press and release the brake and accelerator pedals once, doing both at the same time.
2. Put the existing master key into the ignition.
3. Press and release the accelerator pedal five times within 15 seconds.
4. Press and release the brake pedal six times within 20 seconds and remove key.
5. Insert new key into ignition within ten seconds.
6. Press and release the accelerator pedal once within ten seconds.
7. The security light will turn off after 80 seconds. This indicates that the new key is now registered.
8. Remove new key. Press and release the brake pedal once.
Toyota RAV-4 2002-2010
Keys can be programmed using the Code-Seeker on most 32 bit systems.
TO DELETE ALL BUT ONE KEY FROM THE UNIT:
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert an existing master key into the ignition cylinder. Do not turn the key from the OFF(LOCK) position.
3. Within fifteen seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accelerator pedal six times.
4. Within twenty seconds of completing the above step, depress and release the brake seven times.
5. The security light will flash, indicating all keys other than the one being used have been deleted.
6. Remove the key from the ignition cylinder within ten seconds. It will be the only key still programmed to work.
ADD DUPLICATE KEY:
Requires one working Toyota/Lexus Master key.
1. Make sure all doors and windows are closed.
2. Insert Master key into the ignition cylinder.
3. Cycle the ignition cylinder from ON to OFF five times.
4. Open and close the driver side door six times.
5. Remove the Master key and insert the new duplicate key.
6. TURN THE IGNITION CYLINDER ON.
7. The new key will be registered after 60 seconds. The THEFT light on the dashboard will go out, indicating that the programming has been completed.
About Toyota RAV-4
The Toyota RAV4 was updated for the 2006 model year, employing an entirely new platform, and debuted at the 2005 Frankfurt Motor Show. It is equipped with an electric power steering (EPS) system.
The third-generation RAV4 is available in two wheelbase lengths: short and long. The short-wheelbase RAV4 is exclusively available in Japan, Europe, and New Zealand (diesel only in New Zealand), while the long-wheelbase RAV4 is available in Australia, New Zealand, and North America. Since 2007, the extended-length RAV4 has been available in Japan alongside its shorter sibling as the Toyota Vanguard, but with a changed front-end bodywork that includes a new grille, bumper, bonnet, and headlamps. When the larger XA40 debuted in 2012, the short wheelbase model was continued in production for the Japanese market and sold alongside the new model until 2016.
Toyota NETZ dealers began selling Japanese models in 2005.
The 3-door model was discontinued in early 2007, leaving Toyota without a tiny SUV until the 2009 Toyota Urban Cruiser, which is available in Europe, North America (as the Scion xD), and Japan (as the Toyota ist).
The XA30 series RAV4 was available in Japan until July 2016, when it was replaced by the XA40. Toyota phased out the Vanguard in November 2013, replacing it with the revised XU60 Harrier. The RAV4 became more expensive to own in Japan as it grew in size and engine displacement, putting it in the highest tax band as specified by Japanese government dimension limits and annual road tax responsibilities.