GMC Sierra 2017-2020 Key Programming Procedure
The following are the key programming procedures for GMC Sierra for the year 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
Programming with Two (2) Recognized Keys (Key Vehicles Only)
Up to eight (8) keys can be programmed to the vehicle.
TO PROGRAM A NEW KEY:
1. Insert the original, already programmed key in the ignition and turn the key to the ON/RUN position.
2. Turn the key to LOCK/OFF, and remove the key.
3. Quickly, within five (5) seconds, insert the second original already programmed key in the ignition turn the key to the ON/RUN position.
4. Turn the key to LOCK/OFF, and remove key.
5. Insert the new key to be programmed and turn it to the ON/RUN position within five (5) seconds. The security light will turn off once the key has been programmed.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 if additional keys are to be programmed.
If a key is lost or damaged, see your dealer to have a new key made.
PROGRAMMING WITHOUT TWO (2) RECOGNIZED KEYS (KEY VEHICLES ONLY)
Program a new key to the vehicle when a recognizable key is not available. Canadian regulations require that Canadian owners see their dealer.
If two (2) currently recognized keys are not available, follow this procedure to program the first key.
This procedure will take approximately 30 minutes to complete for the first key. The vehicle must be off and all of the keys must be with
1. Insert the new vehicle key into the ignition.
2. Turn to ON/RUN. The security light will come on.
3. Wait 10 minutes until the security light turns off.
4. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 two more times. After the third time, turn to ON/RUN; the key is learned and all previously known keys will no longer work the vehicle.
6. To learn the second key, turn to OFF and insert the second key to be learned and rotate to ON/RUN.
After two keys are learned, the remaining keys can be learned by following the procedure in “Programming with Two (2) Recognized Keys (Key Vehicles Only).”
About GMC Sierra
The 2020 Sierra is part of a generation that started with the 2019 model year. Changes for 2020 are mild, coming only one year after a redesign. Towing capacity has decreased marginally from the previous year’s total but remains above 12,000 pounds. A few additional amenities are also available, such as adaptive cruise control, a bed-view camera, and an audio system incorporated into the MultiPro tailgate.
The Sierra had several significant improvements as part of the 2019 facelift. The selection was expanded with two additional trims (Elevation and AT4), as well as two new engine options: a turbocharged four-cylinder and a turbodiesel. A surround-view camera system, pedestrian recognition, and a head-up display are among the new available driver assistance technologies for the 2019 model.
You can possibly save hundreds of dollars by purchasing a used Sierra, but you will miss out on the benefits of the redesign if you purchase a model prior to 2019. If you’re looking for a used GMC, read our reviews of the 2018 GMC Sierra and 2019 GMC Sierra. You should also look through our Used Car Deals page to learn about the many savings and discounts available on used vehicles.
The Sierra has a starting price of around $30,000. That is a normal entry level pricing for the class. Things can quickly get more pricey if you choose a higher trim level or a more powerful engine. Ones with diesel engines begin at $45,000, while models with the biggest V8 begin around $51,000. The Sierra Denali trim level is the most expensive, starting at $54,700.
The Sierra rides comfortably, but the Ram 1500 is likely to have the most comfortable ride in the class. The Ram can tow and haul more than the Sierra, and its base engine is more fuel-efficient. The Ram offers one of the most upmarket cabins in the class, outperforming the GMC, with two rows of roomy seats and an easy-to-use infotainment system. Basically, anything the Sierra can do, the Ram 1500 can do better or at least as well.